PRE-CONGRESS HANDS-ON WORKSHOP
- University Medical Centre Ljubljana, Zaloška 2, SI-1000 Ljubljana
- April 5, 2017
- 250 EUR VAS and AVATAR member and non-member
20 EUR nurses
- How to register
- Fill in the Online Registration Form
The hands-on workshop is intended for those with no or limited experience or those wishing to refresh or improve their knowledge in the workshop topics. It gives an opportunity to gain familiarity with the most commonly used techniques and devices for 4 topics: hemodialysis catheter placement, preoperative ultrasonography mapping, arteriovenous fistula surveillance, vascular access surgery. Participants will learn how to use the appropriate devices. In addition, there will be the opportunity to bring their knowledge up to date, improve their skills and gain insightful advice from expert users.
- To understand the principles of the procedures
- To achieve a standardized technique in a step-by step fashion
- To become familiar with devices and their handling
- To discuss technical problems with experts
- To learn technical tips and tricks
- To understand how to avoid or minimize the most commonly encountered complications
- Maximum number attendees
- Recognized experts. Interventional nephrologists, Vascular surgeons, Interventional Radiologists.
- 30 minutes learning class on each topic
- Theoretical introduction of concepts applied to each topic. Description of the technical aspects of different procedures, indication and techniques.
- Principles to practice: education and simulation skills training
- Participants rotating between 4 areas
- 90 minutes for each topic
- Small group teaching allowing close interaction with faculty
- Participants will learn how to use currently available devices for different procedures. Experienced tutors will discuss technical tips and tricks.
With Simulation Models, the attendee will learn:
- How to perform the procedures
- Manage procedural complications
- Tips and tricks
Ultrasonography mapping before arteriovenous fistula construction
Review of the anatomy of arm and forearm arteries and veins and conditions necessary for arteriovenous fistula or graft construction in vascular access naïve patients. Hands-on practice in volunteers to evaluate arteries and veins and determine possibility of arteriovenous anastomosis and graft construction.
Fistula Evaluation by Ultrasound Examination
Review of the theory of the physical principles of ultrasound applied to different hemodynamic models of vascular access. Theoretical and practical sessions on different vascular access pathology. Hands-on practice with patients of different types of arteriovenous fistula and graft with different types of pathology: stenosis, thrombosis, aneurysms, deep veins, etc., on the other.
Vascular Access Surgery
Review of the principles of surgical procedures applied to arteriovenous fistula creation, both native and prosthetic. Hands-on practice for practice suturing artery and vein to create an anastomosis using various technique options. Vascular access reconstruction in different pathological conditions. Simulation models will be used.
Study of cervical and femoral human anatomy in patients. Ultrasound-guided puncture for central line placement on simulation models (human torso, phantom, catheter placement box setting and biological models such as turkey). Review of techniques and approaches. Temporary and tunneled catheter placement, from puncture to the tunnel creation.